The financial services industry is competitive, with new financial advisors entering the scene every day. But it’s not just financial advisors that consumers need. They need helpful information to learn important tasks like budgeting, saving money, and planning for financial goals. That’s where financial media helps. You provide the content consumers need to have proper wealth management habits.
Knowing how to get clients as a financial media company is essential to growing your business and reaching your own financial goals.
Here’s the problem. You must stand apart from other financial media. To do this, you must know the essential elements your audience looks for when they want professional financial advice. Consumers will always digest content; the key is understanding how to get the website traffic to beat competitors.
How to Get Clients as a Financial Media
There are many ways to get financial advisor clients through financial media, including narrowing your audience and understanding your target market. Next, you’ll build your brand, show your authority compared to other advisors, and narrow your content strategy to find the ideal clients.
Use these steps to learn how to get clients as a financial media company.
Define Your Target Market
To build brand recognition for your finance brand, you must not waste time marketing to just any target clients. Instead, you must narrow your target market and focus your marketing efforts on the audience that could use the content you provide.
The key is knowing where your clients spend time, what advertisements they respond to, and how they prefer to communicate.
For example, if you primarily create content for young families looking to create a solid financial base and reach long-term goals, your content should focus on the problems and solutions your audience wants. On the other hand, if you write content for high-net-worth individuals, you’d likely have a much different strategy.
Build Your Brand and Presence
Your potential customers want to get to know you to determine if they can trust your content. It’s your job to show you are a confident and trustworthy character by using a strong digital marketing strategy and providing relatable content online to compete against other knowledgeable professionals.
Once you determine your niche client, you must use digital marketing, building a brand identity that viewers can identify with and remember when they need a finance blog to advise them.
To start a financial media business, build your brand, and get more leads, you should:
- Have a professional financial website
- Have an active social media presence with an official social media account
- Use proper search engine optimization tactics to get your website and social media platforms found at the top of the search results
Any marketing materials you create should have the same brand presence. This allows your audience to get familiar with you and to be able to recognize you whether they find your website, social media accounts, or a flyer in the mail.
Develop a Content Strategy
A content marketing strategy is the key to getting a larger audience and sets you apart from other financial media companies. However, this doesn’t mean slapping together a website or making sporadic social media posts, as it won’t help you stand out among most financial advisors.
You need an effective strategy or a method to your madness. Your content marketing should have a strategy with relevant topics so you become the thought leader in the industry for financial advising. A few ideas to include it in to show you are a financial expert are:
- Create a financial blog – An up-to-date blog with current information helps readers looking for personal finance advice find you. If your blog post contains relevant content, utilizes a keyword strategy, and your audience learns something, you may appear on the search engines’ first page. Your blog posts could be on anything from basic financial literacy tips to complex topics that show you as a leading financial professional in the industry.
- Consider videos or podcasts – Consider implementing videos or podcasts into your content marketing strategy about simple and complex finance topics. Some people respond better to these materials than written blog posts, mainly to save time, giving you another avenue to build a larger audience and have more satisfied clients.
- Network – Networking for financial media companies means talking to anyone who comes into contact with individuals or business owners who could use your content. Connect with other professionals online on LinkedIn or Facebook and individuals on Instagram. Also, attend networking events to get more business prospects and utilize referral marketing.
Engage With Your Target Audience
Many financial media companies set up a social media page but don’t give it the attention it needs. They don’t engage with their followers to attract clients. To offer successful financial media, you want to show that you are the expert your audience needs, whether they are trying to achieve financial freedom, need better money habits, or don’t know how to manage their personal finances.
One of the best client engagement tips to get more clients is to give your social media pages a personal touch by showing behind-the-scenes footage or pictures of you getting involved with the community. Show your audience you are a real person who cares about your audience and the community.
The best way to do this is to interact with your audience. Most platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram make responding to comments or direct messages easy. This is another way to get personal with your audience and let them know you are responsive.
This is important for most people when choosing a financial media company to trust because they want someone they know is a trustworthy character.
Referrals are one of the best ways to find your audience. You can get a successful referral from friends, family, word-of-mouth, and even social media. Never be afraid to ask for referrals.
- From existing clients – If you have loyal readers, they are likely to refer you to others. Create incentives for your current audience to provide referrals to their friends and family for your services and watch your client referrals increase.
- Friends and family members – Make sure everyone you know knows what you do and offer. You never know when they’ll come across someone who is a good fit for you and can refer them your way so you get a new client.
- Social media – Anyone can share social media posts, which will spread the word about your services without you trying. Create meaningful posts that people want to share, whether an existing client or someone who follows you, and you’ll get in front of a much larger audience without much effort and help you find new clients.
Network and Establish Relationships
The key to growing your audience is constantly networking. You can network online and in person if you attend networking events. In both areas, you want to create and maintain relationships. The key is to know your audiences’ contact expectations and use that to your advantage.
Here are a few ways to reach more prospective clients:
- Email marketing – Email marketing can be a great addition to your digital brand identity. Your email marketing strategies must be strong to ensure your audience opens and engages with your emails. Just sending emails isn’t enough; without a strategy, they’ll likely end up in spam.
- Follow-up – Relationships aren’t built on one phone call or email. After the first contact with a potential client, you must keep up the relationship by following up. Continue providing value to prospective clients so you become a natural choice when they need financial planning or other financial business advice.
Utilize Targeted Advertising
The internet and social media make it easy to target your advertisements. It’s different from the old days, when you would create an ad to throw on the radio or TV and hope it eventually reached the ideal client. With online advertising, such as Facebook or Google ads, you can target the right demographics so only the people most interested in your services will see the advertisements.
You can also watch the analytics to see how your advertisements do, making changes to ensure the right audience sees your message.
Collaborate With Strategic Partners
Become the leader in a community, company, or anywhere else so you become the ‘go-to’ financial media company that provides a professional presence. For example, create partnerships with other local businesses you can collaborate with and help each other market.
The key is to build authority to show your audience you are the leader in the industry who will provide them with what they need.
Speak at Business-Focused Seminars and Industry Conferences
Take advantage of opportunities to speak at events and speaking opportunities to get in front of people within your demographic. Use the opportunity to show the value of what you offer without selling. Provide sneak peeks of your services while providing valuable personal finance tips to your audience. You can also use this strategy online and offer an online webinar to reach a larger audience.
Be Active in the Community
Community involvement is one of the best ways to show that you care about the people around you and that you aren’t just in business to make money. Attend as many local events as possible, offering free services, providing advice, getting your hands dirty, helping the community with a common problem or concern, and showing that you have common interests.
You can use the opportunities to volunteer your time or even offer free consultations to build relationships within the community. This works best when you join groups and get active in your community.
How Do Financial Media Companies Prospect New Clients?
Financial media companies have many ways to find potential clients, including email or content marketing, social media campaigns, and asking for referrals. The key to finding new clients is understanding your audience and who fits your target market best.
What Type of Feedback Should Financial Media Companies Seek From Clients?
The best information financial media companies can get from current and past clients is constructive criticism. Find out what they love and what they wish could improve to help you provide the best services.
What Are the Most Effective Ways to Market a Financial Media Company’s Services?
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all way to market a financial media company’s services. The proper method depends on the target audience. However, most authors benefit from online marketing, including a solid content strategy and email and social media marketing.
What Platforms Should Financial Media Companies Use to Reach Potential Clients?
Most professionals find their audience on LinkedIn and in Facebook groups, but you can also find them on Instagram occasionally. It’s also important to focus on platforms like Google Ads to get the word out to the right audience. The key is to narrow your niche and figure out where your target audience spends their time.
Knowing how to get clients as a financial media company is important as the industry grows. The stronger your marketing tactics become, the easier it is to be the authoritative figure in the industry. The key is setting yourself apart from others and showing value to your audience to help them choose you over the competition.