Credit card companies have a lot of competition today. Consumers are pickier about the credit cards they choose because they want rewards, low APRs, and other benefits. They can browse their options online from the comfort of their own home and find the credit and debit cards they need.
So, how do you stand out amongst the competition and get your audience to use your credit card at stores that accept credit cards? You must showcase yourself as an authority and show consumers the benefits of your credit cards. Here’s how to get clients as a credit card company and beat the competition.
How to Get Clients as a Credit Card Company
There are many ways to get the right borrowers as a credit card company, starting with narrowing your audience and understanding your target market and their needs. Next, you’ll build your brand, show your authority compared to other credit card companies, and narrow your content strategy to find the ideal clients.
Use the following ten steps to learn how to get clients as a credit card company.
Define Your Target Market
To have a successful credit card business, you must not waste time marketing to just any audience. Instead, you must narrow your target market and focus your marketing efforts on the demographics that could help you get more clients.
For example, target customers who travel frequently if your credit card offers travel rewards. However, offering cashback on all purchases means you’ll have a different audience. Knowing what pain points your credit card solves will help you narrow your audience.
The key is to narrow your audience as much as possible to meet your demographics where they spend the most time.
Build Your Brand and Presence
Your potential clients want to know the credit card details before they talk to you, so it’s your job to provide relatable content online to get future business, including how to use your credit card, the rewards it offers, and even how to make a payment. Show your audience they can trust you and that you’re better than companies that offer similar services by offering lower fees, better rates, or other rewards.
Most consumers and small business owners do their due diligence and look online before deciding which credit cards to consider. To reach your niche client, you must use digital marketing, building a brand identity that new customers can identify with and remember when they want to apply for a new credit card.
To be a successful credit card company, you must build your brand with the following:
- Have your own website with information about your credit and debit cards
- Be present and active on the social media platforms your audience uses
- Use proper SEO tactics to get your website and social media sites found at the top of the search results over other companies
Any marketing materials you create should have the same brand presence. This allows your audience to get familiar with you and to be able to recognize you whether they find your website, social media accounts, or a flyer in the mail.
Develop a Content Strategy
A content marketing strategy is the key to getting new clients and sets you apart from others in the credit card industry. As we said earlier, most people use the internet to research companies before opening a new account.
Here’s the problem. If potential customers can’t find you online, it’s as if you don’t exist, whether you are an existing or new credit card company, and it will be hard to get new clients.
However, this doesn’t mean slapping together a website or making sporadic social media posts, as it won’t help you find more clients.
You need a strategy or a method to your madness. Your content marketing should have a strategy with relevant topics so you become the thought leader in the industry. A few ideas to include it in are:
- Create a credit card blog – An up-to-date blog with current information helps potential clients find you. If your blog post contains relevant and helpful content, utilizes a keyword strategy, and helps current and future clients learn something about credit card payments, you may show up on the first page of the search engines. This helps increase awareness of your credit card business. Your blog posts could be on anything from how to conduct online transactions to how credit card processing works. Any information you provide shows you as a leader in the industry.
- Consider videos or podcasts – Consider implementing videos or podcasts into your content marketing strategy about topics that may be easier to hear than read, such as how to find establishes that accept credit card payments. Some people respond better to these materials than written blog posts, mainly to save time, giving you another avenue to get more borrowers.
- Network – Networking for credit card companies means talking to anyone who comes into contact with individuals or owners of small or medium-sized businesses who could use your services. Connect with other professionals online on LinkedIn or Facebook and individuals on Instagram. You can even network in-store and attend networking events to find potential clients who need help with credit and debit cards.
Engage With Your Target Audience
Many credit card companies set up a social media page but don’t give it the attention it needs. They don’t engage with their followers to get new clients. To be a successful credit card company, you want to show that you are the expert your audience needs, whether they are an individual or small business owner.
One of the best client engagement tips to get more clients is to give your social media pages a personal touch by showing behind-the-scenes footage. Show images of how stores process payments when they accept payments via credit cards so they can see the transaction from start to finish.
You can also show pictures of you getting involved with the community. Show your audience you are a real person who cares about your clients and the community, too.
The best way to do this is to interact with your audience. Most platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram make responding to comments or direct messages easy. This is another way to get personal with your audience and let them know you are responsive, especially with sensitive topics like credit cards.
This is important for most people when choosing a credit card company because they want someone they know they can communicate with easily and who provides a cost-effective solution.
Referrals are one of the best ways to find future clients. You can get a successful referral from satisfied existing clients, other business owners, word-of-mouth, and even social media. Never be afraid to ask for referrals.
- From existing clients – If you have happy clients who pay using your credit card, they are likely to refer you to other business owners or individuals. Create incentives for your current clients to provide referrals to their friends and family for your services and watch your client referrals increase.
- Business owners – Let business owners in the community know of your services. Even if they don’t use your services, other professionals may need other credit card options, and they can refer you, or you can trade referrals to increase your client list.
- Social media – Anyone can share social media posts, which will spread the word about your services without you trying. Create meaningful posts that people want to share, whether an existing client or someone who follows you, and you’ll get in front of a much larger audience without much effort and help you find new clients.
Network and Establish Relationships
The key to growing your client base is constantly networking. You can network online and in person if you attend networking events. In both areas, you want to create and maintain relationships. The key is to know your audience’s contact expectations and use that to your advantage.
Here are a few ways to reach more leads:
- Cold calling – Even today, cold calling is a popular way to build credit card businesses. If picking up the phone and making a cold call isn’t something you enjoy, focus your efforts on search engine optimization so your blog posts and other content marketing pieces reach the right business owners.
- Email marketing – Emails are the equivalent of cold outreach, but electronically. But just like you need a well-thought-out script for phone calls, your email marketing strategies must be strong to ensure your audience opens and engages with your emails. Just sending emails isn’t enough; without a strategy, they’ll likely end up in spam.
- Follow-up – Relationships aren’t built on one phone call or email. After the first contact with a potential client, you must keep up the relationship by following up. This doesn’t mean following up and asking for the sale. Instead, continue providing value to your leads so you become a natural choice, and they possibly choose you over other credit card companies.
Utilize Targeted Advertising
The internet and social media make it easy to target your advertisements. It’s different from the old days, when you would create an ad to throw on the radio or TV and hope it eventually reached the ideal client. With online advertising, such as Facebook or Google ads, you can target the right demographics so only the people most interested in your services will see the advertisements.
You can also watch the analytics to see how your advertisements do, making changes to ensure the right audience sees your message.
Collaborate With Strategic Partners
Become the leader in a community, company, or anywhere else so you become the ‘go-to’ credit card company that provides what clients need. For example, create partnerships with other local businesses you can collaborate with and help each other market.
The key is to build authority to show your audience you are one of the best credit card companies in the industry that will provide them with what they need.
Speak at Business-Focused Seminars and Industry Conferences
Take advantage of opportunities to speak at events and speaking opportunities to get in front of people within your demographic. Use the opportunity to show the value of what you offer without selling. Provide sneak peeks of your services while providing valuable tips to your audience. You can also use this strategy online and offer a webinar to reach a larger audience.
Be Active in the Community
Community involvement is one of the best ways to show that you care about the people around you and that you aren’t just in business to make money. Attend as many local events as possible, offering free services, providing advice, getting your hands dirty, helping the community with a common problem or concern, and showing that you have common interests.
You can use the opportunities to volunteer your time or even offer free consultations to build relationships within the community. This works best when you join groups and get active in your community.
How Do Credit Card Companies Prospect New Clients?
Credit card companies have many ways to find potential clients, including email or content marketing, social media campaigns, and asking for referrals. The key to finding new clients is understanding your audience and who fits your target market best.
How Many Clients Should a Credit Card Company Have?
The more clients you have, the easier the sales process is. However, in the credit card industry, some months will be better than others. Continually marketing to individuals, small businesses, and even medium-to-large business owners will help you keep a running pipeline that always delivers.
What Type of Feedback Should Credit Card Companies Seek From Borrowers?
Ask current customers what they think of your process, online payments, and whether you offer reasonable interest rates. Take the information they offer and use it to perfect your offering. This will get you new business, help increase customer loyalty for repeat borrowers and your referral business.
What Are the Most Effective Ways to Market a Credit Card Company’s Services?
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all way to market a credit card company’s services. The proper method depends on the target audience. However, most companies benefit from online marketing, including a solid content strategy and email and social media marketing.
What Platforms Should Credit Card Companies Use to Reach Potential Clients?
Most professionals find clients on Facebook and Instagram, but you can also find them on LinkedIn occasionally. It’s also important to focus on platforms like Google Ads to get the word out to the right audience. The key is to narrow your niche and figure out where your target audience spends their time.
Knowing how to get clients as a credit card company is important as the industry grows. The stronger your marketing tactics become, the easier it is to be the authoritative figure in the industry. The key is setting yourself apart from others and showing value to your new clients to help them choose your card over others.